by E. Marie Fera
There’s a list:
- Of things you have to do
- incorporeal but ever-growing and daily changing.
- You know every item on that list
- even as the days pass and things are added or removed
- because you hear it, you speak it, you live it.
- You never let yourself forget it.
- At home, at work, at school, the store, a friend’s house, in the car-
- the list is there;
- each item pulling you in a different direction.
- You’re overwhelmed
- You know this list, front and back,
- but how will you ever complete it?
- In the meantime you feel weak;
- small, worthless, a failure.
- There’s so much to do but not enough time to do it.
- You’re at work and you’re itching to get things done.
- You have to.
- On a day off, you do.
- You dare to feel proud – if just for a moment,
- but you’re tired.
- A passerby tells you to smile.
- You add it to the list.